1.  Danger of sticks


Say NO to sticks!

Playing fetch with sticks can harm dogs!...
Pet owners should not throw sticks for dogs as they can cause horrific injuries and even death!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/…/Playing-fetch-with-sticks-can-…

A couple of pretty horrific injuries to dogs caused by sticks. Even splinters in the mouth that go unnoticed can become infected causing suffering to the dog and maybe even death. With so many safer toys available on the market for dogs to play with.... please say NO to sticks.

Put your Vet’s phone number in your mobile phone if you don’t have it there already.



2. Bloat in Dogs




3. Chocolate Danger 


Please remember DO NOT give any chocolate to your dog(s) unless it is chocolate specifically made for pets! Chocolate made for human consumption can be extremely harmful to dogs. 

Dogs are known for eating things when they are not supposed to. This is especially true of puppies. Also, dogs have an excellent sense of smell, making it fairly easy to find any secret hiding spots for the chocolate. (Remember this if you’re organizing and Easter egg hunt at home)

  Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals: caffeine and theobromine. If ingested, these two ingredients can also lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your dog!

Different chocolate types have different theobromine levels. Cocoa, cooking chocolate and dark chocolate contain the highest levels, while milk chocolate and white chocolate have the lowest. If you’re dealing with any quantity of dark or bitter chocolate, err on the side of caution. The high level of theobromine in dark chocolate means it takes only a very small amount to poison a dog. Less than an ounce (28gms) of dark chocolate may be enough to poison a 44lb (20kgs) dog!



4. Dogs die in hot cars!


If you find a dog in a car on a warm or hot day and you cannot locate the owner the RSPCA say that you should call the Police on 999.  Never leave your dog alone in a car, even for a few minutes.  The RSPCA point out that “when it is 22C/72F outside, the temperature inside a car can soar to 47C/117F within 60 minutes!!”  They also note that dogs can die from heatstroke in just 20 minutes, and cars can become ovens fast, in sunny weather. Putting a bowl of water inside the car and leaving the windows partially open doesn’t help!


To help keep your dogs cool on hot days you can:


Exercise your dog in the cooler times of the day, rather than the hottest.

Groom your dog regularly to remove excess hair.

 Take water out with you on warm and hot days and stop in a shady spot to allow your dog a drink.

 Always ensure your dog has the ability to move into a shady, cooler spot, inside or outdoors.

 When travelling with your dog be prepared for traffic/motorway delays...Take regular breaks and keep a good supply of water in the car for you and your dog.

 Never leave your dog in a glass conservatory or caravan, however shady or cloudy it is when you set out!


Dogs are susceptible to heatstroke if they cannot reduce their body temperature.  If your dog show signs of heatstroke they should be moved to a cool shaded area and a vet called for advice.  You can help reduce your dogs body temperature by using a spray on your dog filled with cool not cold water, put your dog in the breeze of a fan or put your dog in a shower and gently run cool water over him/her.


Signs of heatstroke


*heavy panting

*profuse salivation

 *a rapid pulse

 *very red gums/tongue

 *lethargy

 *lack of coordination

 *reluctance or inability to rise after collapsing

 *Vomiting & diarrhoea

 *loss of consciousness in extreme circumstances